Featured Post

Sunday, March 6, 2022

Is the Pope Catholic? (600 words)


The Baptism of Christ, 13th-century illumination.

[Epistemic status: I might be missing something crucial. If I learn that I’m wrong about Catholic doctrine or history, I’ll revise the post. [EDIT: It turned out that I was, so I have.]]


The Catholic Church recently determined that thousands of baptisms are invalid because an Arizona priest made one persistent error while giving the sacrament. The one-word error–a substitution of “we” for “I” in the statement, “I baptize you in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”not only invalidated the baptisms that Fr. Andres Arango himself performed, but also baptisms performed by other clergy whom Arango had baptized. [NOTE: I was wrong about this. Somehow I strongly remember learning that this was true, but when a commenter told me that I was wrong, I failed to find any sources that confirmed my memory. This error throws off the rest of the post, but I'll recalibrate at the end.] The Diocese of Phoenix has taken pains to contact people whose baptisms might be invalid and to help them to arrange legitimate baptisms. 


What interests me most about this situation is that it seems to imply that any baptism at all could be invalid because of an error made in the distant past. Fr. Andres’ error was only detected after he had made it consistently for sixteen years; it’s extremely likely that some historical priests made comparable errors but were never discovered. How many Catholic baptisms are invalid because they are performed by a priest who was baptized by a priest who was baptized by a priest (...) who mispronounced Latin in the 12th century? If one priest could perform thousands of invalid baptisms in only sixteen years, how many invalid baptisms must have cascaded from errors long past? Given that there are well over a billion Catholics, I think the answer must be at least in the tens of millions. Unless I’m misunderstanding the doctrine–certainly a significant possibility–then I’m not sure that any Catholics are justified in being confident that their baptisms are valid. 


Fortunately, church officials and theologians have confirmed that affected persons…probably won’t go to hell if they were illegitimately baptized. ABC quotes a Catholic theologian as saying that “God isn’t constrained by the errors that a priest might make,” and the Diocese of Phoenix writes that “We can be assured that all who approached God, our Father, in good faith to receive the sacraments did not walk away empty-handed.” Still, I feel that the Church has sent mixed messages on this point, as the Diocese of Phoenix also stresses that “Baptism is necessary for salvation…The Church does not know of any means other than Baptism that assures entry into eternal beatitude” (emphasis weirdly in original). My sense is that leaders agree that it wouldn’t make sense for someone affected by a sacramental error to be denied salvation, but that they aren’t sure how else to unpack the idea that baptism is crucial for being a legitimate Catholic. 


In the absence of immaculate historical data, we can’t verify that any living person, including clergy, has an unblemished baptismal pedigree. So I close by asking: Is the pope legitimately Catholic? It’s an honest question. 


[EDIT: As Isaac points out below, Fr. Andres' error does not invalidate baptisms performed by priests he baptized. The CDF decision still opens the possibility that many baptisms could be invalid for other reasons, but the probability is much lower than I argued in the original post. Isaac points out that if one or a few historical bishops received false baptisms, then that could indirectly invalidate many other baptisms up through the present day, but since there have been many fewer bishops than priests, that scenario is much less likely than the one I imagined. I enjoyed thinking through this problem even though the truth isn't as funny as I hoped.]

3 comments:

  1. Looks like the error doesn't propogate through further baptisms, since you don't need to be a priest or Christian to baptise. Unless the Pope's baptism was performed with the wrong formula, he is definitely a Catholic.

    "While the sacraments he celebrated might not have been valid — with the notable exception of baptism, which, ironically, doesn't require a priest as long as the words, matter and intention are present — Hood said people can rest assured knowing God didn't abandon them in their time of need." (https://www.ncronline.org/news/people/after-learning-his-baptism-was-invalid-priest-finds-blessing-re-ordination)

    There is still a propagation worry. If at any point there was a bishop baptised with the wrong formula, then any priests they ordained wouldn't be priests, and any sacrament those priests perform would be invalid (and they might themselves become new false bishops).

    The Pope doesn't actually need to be a priest or bishop to become Pope, so he'd be the Pope... unless the Cardinals are not really cardinals, in which case they can't elect the Pope, and then everything is screwed.

    So all it would take is for one or a few historically influential bishops to have been baptised with an invalid formula, leading to a large quantity of false priests, which in turn would lead to more false bishops. There is a serious risk, given the likely variation in baptismal formulas in early Christianity, that at some point the density of false bishops reached a critical point, dooming the Papacy and the rest of the clergy forever.

    This is all contingent on the CDF having made the correct ruling, of course. The simple answer is that Luis Ferrer made a mistake when he claimed the baptisms weren't valid, and the Pope was wrong to approve it. I'll forward you a Facebook post Olivia showed me which argues from early church history that the "we" formula is valid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Isaac. I will edit the post to address my error. I'm also aware that this is all contingent on the CDF ruling being correct--the post was always meant to be an exercise of reasoning within that particular decision, rather than an interpretation of Catholic theology itself.

      Delete
    2. One interesting implication, though, is that (given the CDF decision) a Catholic's confidence that they are really baptized can't exceed their trust in the person who baptized them. Maybe a highly competent priest would only make one mistake every 5,000 baptisms, so if that guy baptized me, I can be 99.98% sure that I'm really baptized. (Even then, is the probability high enough given that a bad outcome might affect the state of my immortal soul?) If my mom baptized me when I was a baby, then maybe I am only 80-90% sure that she did it correctly. If you accept the CDF decision, then I think it still follows that a large number of Catholics are facing an unacceptable risk of taking communion, getting married, being ordained, etc. when they haven't been acceptably baptized.

      Delete